I had a difficult week. I was tired, frustrated with things at work, and irritated at with people at home. I was feeling unhappy with my life. But I took a few steps this week; steps that were not thought out; steps that just felt right; steps to take care of myself; steps to express myself; steps towards some future that I cannot yet see.
1. At Work: I sent an e-mail to my Director telling her that I do not plan to stay at my job into next year. It was not an angry note; it was clear, concise and respectful. I told her that I appreciated the job and then identified the three reasons that I feel I will not be able to stay long-term. I did this because I felt I had to say my piece. I did it with no agenda. I did it with no pre-conceived idea of how things would work out. I felt incredibly light afterwards.
She phoned me when she received it and we talked for a long time about the dynamics in the office; what is working and what is not. Right now, I see no way in which this will benefit me, but it may benefit the office. Everyone in the office is frustrated but no one else is in a position to say anything because none of them feel they can afford to lose the job. I am not sure that I can afford to lose my job, but I am pretty certain that I cannot stay long-term with the existing conditions. So, I took action; not from my head; from my heart.
2. At Home: I told my husband how I am feeling about the dynamics in our household lately; how I feel he has not really been engaged lately; how I feel I am carrying more responsibility for the household than I feel I can handle when I am working 8 hours a day and commuting 4 hours a day; how I feel he is not communicating enough on financial issues to address my anxieties. I was clear and honest. Afterwards, I felt sad, a little scared, and light.
Often, I don’t speak my truth with my husband and family because I am afraid of what will happen if I do. I am not sure what I am afraid of; that they will be angry at me? that they will withdraw their love? that they will leave? But I am feeling clearer about my need to take care of me these days. For 30 years, I have been taking care of everyone, but I am experiencing health issues, and I am tired like I never used to be, and I know that I cannot continue to carry everyone I love. So, it is time to speak up; to let them know what I need; to give them the opportunity to carry a greater share of the responsibility; for them to lift some of the weight from my shoulders.
3. Creatively: I had someone download all of my posts on this website to a memory stick. I don’t know about others but I don’t save my posts anywhere else. This downloading sounds like a little thing but it is not. For me, it the first steps towards something that is still unformed in my mind. The next step is to rework some of the posts; to take some of the good ideas in these posts and spend more time on them. With what goal I ask myself? But I refuse to answer. There is some precious seed wrapped inside this action but I am scared of naming it; scared that someone will steal it from me; that someone will laugh at the idea; that the idea will die before it is fully formed. I refuse to name it because the someone I fear lives within my head. I am trying to hide the dream from myself; to protect it until it is strong enough to withstand the withering examination of the critical voice within my head.
- How to Be Happier at Work (blogs.hbr.org)
- leaving all behind and moving on… (paintandfootprints.wordpress.com)
- If Your Dream Gets Stuck Before It’s Started… (bestknickersalways.com)
- Being understood…. (singingoverthebonesandrisingfromtheashes.wordpress.com)
- Just Say NO to Not Writing! Six Steps for Outwitting Writing Procrastination (storycirclenetwork.wordpress.com)
- Why Saying No in Your Relationship Is a Good Thing (psychcentral.com)
- Job Hopping – Is it really such a bad thing? (bafedilemafologele.wordpress.com)
I love the picture of the wooden path through dense forest to indicate your steps toward a fuller life. Like you have to go through the thick of it to get where you want to be yet the thick of it is rich and full. Like going through the thick of it will be just as rewarding as when you reach your destination. Congratulations on setting your boundaries. I think that is a giant step towards your new life. Your on your way and you have a plan. Good for you! Janice
Thanks Janice….interesting analysis of the photo!!
So eloquent…so understandable…so relatable…
Thanks….that is always good to hear!!
go for it you’re good enough!
Thank-you…I know you understand!!!
yes i do!
I have nominated you dear writer for the Versatile Blogger Award, continue to spread your words of wisdom. Peace out.
Wow…that is very sweet. Thank-you. Kim
Thanks for linking to my blog :-)
Pingback: Lifestyle Changes | Reinventing Myself
Kim, you need to nurture your Dream and water that seed, and put those seeds down where they can sprout yet more words and seeds as they grow into sentences and paragraphs and chapters and yes dont be affraid of an Idea that is Born… GO FOR IT GIRL!!!!.. You are upon the start of your next phase of your own Journey.. Nurture yourself.. and it will unfold.. Just as you are now allowing your thoughts and feelings to unfold and you are at last finding yourself to speak your thoughts and let yourself out of your shell… Good Luck in all you do…… YOu CAN Achieve anything when you put your Mind and thoughts behind it… xxx :-) xx